Friday, February 26, 2010

Randomness

At her vet check this morning, Ruby was 29.5 pounds. That's triple the weight she was when I brought her home 44 days ago. Wow.

There are some advantages to winter. For example...frozen, vs muddy, backyard. Some things you learn the hard way. After one of the most stressful workdays I've had in recent memory, I got to come home and spend 20 minutes scrubbing the muddy pawprints out of the family room carpet. That Ruby somehow created in less than a minute.

Vet says Ruby has a broken canine tooth. I actually thought ALL her teeth were canine teeth. That doesn't really narrow it down.

We went to the dog park after the vet. Our dog park is on the west edge of town with nothing to break the bitter wind. We didn't stay long, but will hope to go back soon when it warms up. Both dogs ran around for a few minutes, but I was not dressed for subzero temps so we left.

When she runs through the house, it sounds like a pony or a baby elephant. At 30 pounds. What will it sound like when she's tripled THIS weight?

I have to convince the boys in my family (you know who you are) that sneaking up and scaring Ruby is unacceptable. The big boy did it last week, scaring her to the point that she peed AND pooped and then wouldn't come to him right away. Then the younger boy did it this morning with similar results. What is fun about scaring a puppy?? I don't get it. But STOP!

Despite the scaring incident, Allan is the best caretaker of Ruby when I'm not home. He must have picked up Pack Leader qualities from all those years in Scouting because she listens to him, she doesn't bite if he tells her to stop, and he remembers to get her outside on a regular basis so no accidents. For a kid who sometimes can't remember to put on his shoes, this is surprising to me. He, and possibly a friend, are spending the day here tomorrow to watch the dogs while K & I go to Chicago. I hope the video games don't distract from the puppy needs. But it won't be my mess to clean up if they do.

Ruby FINALLY saw the squirrels this morning. Her reaction is to watch with curiosity. I think she wants to play. As soon as Sophie realizes what has Ruby's attention though, it's all over. The bulldog doesn't want to PLAY with the squirrels, she wants them to die. And she hits the door with enough furious growling and barking to send Freddy Krueger packing. But the squirrels will be back. They always are. Something about the big bowl of squirrel kibble that we keep at the back door that is enticing.

Discovering the advantages of her ever-growing height keeps us on our toes all the time. This morning she chewed up a sponge that was on a table. She can now get on all the furniture and does until she gets caught. She can easily put her feet up on the bar-height dining room chairs and her nose is at the edge of the table. Of course the only reason she does that is because the cat takes cover on those chairs. That perch won't work for long.

My uber-stressful day at work gave way to a very restless night of sleep. Now that Ruby is napping, I may do the same. Who cares if it's 10am? It's my day off. I deserve a little shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby

Ruby
Ruby at 5 weeks.

Contributors