Saturday, January 30, 2010

From a B to a D in 12 hours

Ruby's feelings are beyond hurt this morning. I yelled at her, which is rare, but I was really steamed. She pooped on the rug in the hall and then peed on her bed, all a good 45 minutes after she was outside and did BOTH.

So two things I've determined.
  1. When it is cold, and early in the morning, I have to be more stubborn than her about making sure she drains the tank and empties the load entirely. Fortunately, I'm the middle child and was raised right. So stubborn comes easy.

  2. I realized that we don't have a word for going outside. Most times, I take her out, or carry her, or drag her. But I've not used a word to associate with that. In hindsight, I think she was trying to tell me she needed to go, but I didn't see the signs like I usually do. I was distracted with cooking.


Effective immediately, Ruby is learning a new word. OUT. She gets a treat to GO out, since dragging seems cruel and carrying is not going to last much longer. And I repeat the word a thousand times while we're there. She learns quickly, so I'm hoping I can associate OUT with getting to the door and doing the business outside and we can move on from this potty business.

It's all about communication.

And yes, she's still adorable. My expectations are realistic, even if from time-to-time I show exasperation on an unhealthy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby

Ruby
Ruby at 5 weeks.

Contributors