Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Puppy Has Landed


She's here. After all the waiting, planning, and nesting, I have at my feet a whimpering, snuggly, 9.2 pound Great Dane puppy named Ruby. Who at this particular moment is sassing me because I won't let her up on the couch. Couch, which was her bed all night, snuggled up next to me, so the rest of the house could sleep. I have most of today off work, so as soon as they all clear out for work and school, Ruby can go in her kennel and whine all she wants. I have earplugs. I can sleep through it.


Here are some things Ruby learned last night:

  • There's a lot of people in this house and they all seem to love me.
  • I like everyone here.
  • This house is really big for such a small dog.
  • I DIG having a whole bowl of food all to myself! Mommy says I'll fatten up soon.
  • Stairs are easy going up, but rough going down.
  • The bulldog is super, but she scares me just a little, and she slobbers A LOT. And she's HUGE!
  • Cat? What cat? I couldn't care less.
  • Mommy's lap is my favorite place.
  • Don't bite feet.
  • When the bulldog plays with the Dad, and growls like that, it scares me.
  • The back door is confusing.
  • The bulldog hits like a linebacker.
  • Don't chew on the furniture.
  • At 9:40pm I really hate my kennel, even with the radio on and a blanket over. Mommy says I'll get used to it.
  • 10:39pm is not morning.
  • The couch is way more comfy than that kennel, especially curled up next to Mom. Mom says DON'T GET USED TO IT.
  • Don't nibble Mommy's chin.
  • 12:24am is not morning. Nor is it playtime.
  • Don't chew on Mommy's hair, fingers, sweatshirt zipper, or nose.
  • Hiccups SUCK.
  • 2:13am is not playtime either. Nor is it morning.
  • DON'T CHEW ON MOMMY'S HAIR!!
  • 4:33am...ok, we can make that morning. And then, as it turns out, playtime.
  • Up and over the arm of the couch is not the best way down.
  • I get treats when I poop outside!

OK so maybe she hasn't LEARNED them all, but we got a good start on the rules.

For the most part, even with snow on the ground, the pooping and peeing is proceeding as normal. One poopy accident in the kennel last night, and one puddle on the floor this morning. I apparently couldn't get my slippers on fast enough to take her outside. But everytime I've taken her out, she's produced something. So it's all about my timing.

After typing for 45 minutes, she's given up on gaining access to the couch and has fallen asleep at my feet. Maybe I can snooze for a half hour (ish) until the rest of my family is awake.

I really love this puppy. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby

Ruby
Ruby at 5 weeks.

Contributors