Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ruby did well yesterday and last night. Kevin moved her kennel downstairs next to Sophie and she was much more content. After bedtime, she awoke at 12:30 and not again until 5am. If I hadn't needed to empty MY bladder at 5, I know she would have slept later.



She spent most of the evening in trouble for something. Mostly for biting and trying to eat the legs off any piece of furniture. I've no idea why they're so appealing, but she is truly obsessed.



I find it humorous that Ruby and I share similar views on daily exercise. It sounds like a great idea, and I want to like it, but getting started is the hardest part. Once I get going, though, I feel pretty ok. Ruby is a pull-start puppy. I drag her out the door. Noting each day that I won't be able to do that forever. I stop, she whines at me, I drag her a little further, and then I stop again. After a few seconds of standoff, she concedes and trots along after me. By the time we get halfway around the block, she's 5 feet ahead of me, wearing her puppy smile and feeling good.



I love it when we turn toward home. She get's further and further ahead of me, turning to look as if to say 'well come ON, it's right up here!!!' She's just like the pony we had when I was a kid. Lucky hated exercise too. But you would turn him toward home and you better hang on. Ruby's gotten to recognize her driveway and I make her stop and sit, then I take off the lead and let her run for the door. I hope that will help if she ever gets out and needs to find her way back home.




Ruby's cousin Murphy is coming to visit tomorrow from Wisconsin. She promised to be good...but I think she just may be telling me what I want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby

Ruby
Ruby at 5 weeks.

Contributors